Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Let's figure out 2015 Marketing Tactics and Strategies

Till now what has ever worked is ASO and advertisement through FB.
Please mention what has truly worked for you guys... I have a case study of hardwork or smart work for one of an app under food and drink category

Replies

• Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 278Registered Users @ @
    As for "marketing tactics" you can write books about that, ASO, ads and reviews would still be the "one word" answers even in 2015.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • scottwbscottwb Posts: 952New Users @ @ @
    Our strategy now is to make the best app we can. New mantra for 2015 is 'polish every pixel'. I see no other way.
    Am also thinking about dropping ads in apps.
  • hudheryhudhery Posts: 26New Users @
    @scottwb why drop ads?
    hudhery wrote: »
    @scottwb why drop ads?

Couple of reasons:

- less exposure from Apple with apps with ads
    - Amazon insist that you also use their ads if you have an app e.g. with Chartboost ads

The main reason is that I need a game which a player can 'invest' in for IAP purposes. Having ads defeats that objective. To invest in a game the player needs about 30-60 minutes of interest in your app. Ads kill that interest most of the time IMO.
  • iekeiiekei Posts: 602Registered Users @ @ @
    There are quite a few recently ad and IAP supported games that have been featured the last year. One in particular that I can think of didn't even use iAd. It had incentivized interstitials.
  • panzeritipanzeriti United StatesPosts: 769Registered Users @ @ @
    @scottwb why do you believe those negative aspects of ads to be true? I have seen multiple instances where apple has featured apps with ads, and I don't think ads are too bad if not overly aggressive. I would say only drop ads entirely if you are really against ads or have a long-term goal such as what Facebook/Twitter did or acquisition.
    @panzeriti still keeping ads for my regular games, but I'm trying something new with a game which we are working really hard on with 100s of levels etc. I really need to try and get an app out there which has long term retention for as many players as possible. I just think ads will cut out some of those potential players.

If it doesn't work then I'll go back to ads - it will be easy enough to add them back in afterwards.

With regards to Apple, yes they do feature some apps with ads but I think a featured app from them now has to be exceptionally good to make as e.g. editor choice if it also has aggressive ads. Just my current thought process, I have no evidence to back this up.
  • PuffincatPuffincat SydneyPosts: 21New Users @
    Surprisingly ASO didn't work for us at all (used Sensor Tower services), also didn't worked AdWords or reviews on websites with Alexa rating under 10K. We have an app in travel/photo.
    @Puffincat‌ - I'm considering Sensor Tower for my next app. Can I ask if you went with the $540 pm service and how long? Thx
    Hi @scottwb
    I subscribed for the cheapest one (79$ as far as I remember), I changed title of the app and key words according to their recommendations, but it didn't result in ANY downloads increase. Also on my previous project I had changed key words of several apps and it didn't work either.
    So don't expect too much from ASO, it probably works for some apps...
    thanks @Puffincat‌. Actually I got confused (getting old), it's Gummicube I'm thinking about who have the $540 package. I did use Sensor Tower before and they did make a difference.
  • FullASOFullASO SpainPosts: 1New Users Noob
    It seems that everything is moving so fast. Recent tests that we have performed, suggest increasing value of Social and Web presence is affecting rankings. We will release our data soon to public once we have everything sorted.
    The easy way to get good social exposure and get cheap downloads is to contact influencers directly and ask them to shout your app link to their followers. This causes "snowball" effect and not only you build solid social presence, but also get downloads.

Another factor, that is slowly rising in value is press and review sites coverage. App Store algorithm is set in a way to detect possible viral apps and move them to the top. They check for your social and web presence to calculate chances your app is getting viral. We constantly work on apps that completely ignore "offsite" ASO causing them to tank in rankings, or apps that get spam links that will cause no effect at all.

Other than that usual factors like ASO, click through rates and reviews which makes up for majority of ranking.

Victoria Green
    Full ASO
  • MAROBIMAROBI CanadaPosts: 22New Users @
    Probably already done but I had an idea.
    I noticed a lot of indi devs on twitter with say between 500 and 5000 followers.
    So launch day comes and you tell your loyal followers it's here get it now!
    Now it's a numbers game of ever diminishing returns, who sees the tweet etc, who clicks the link.
    But I thought if all the little Indis got together decided on a hashtag or set of hashtags say #indiarcade #indisports and set auto tweets then all their followers could soon add up and a larger audience that is really interested in that game type could be reached
    I think twitter could be powerful as it's mobile and a one click to the app
    Anyone be interested in trying it?
    Hi @FullASO. We contacted influencers recently and placed links in their profiles and etc. But it doesn't work if you have a very small budget. You need to pay at least to 20-30 people to get some visibility, and it's hard to find anyone who charge less than 100$ per one post, so just on twitter you should spend 3K$ and it's a lot.
    Reviews are very tricky too, just posting the review on a web site doesn't work at all, blog or you should promote the review and it becomes pricy too.

@MAROBI it could be great if a lot of developers will participate, but how will you reach so many?
    Hi Puffin, hadn't really put a lot of thought into it, just had the idea, maybe a thread here, reach out via twitter to other individual and start it off?
    @MAROBI‌ @Puffincat‌ check out http://idrtg.innovatty.com. I've used them a few times.
    scottwb wrote: »
    @MAROBI‌ @Puffincat‌ check out http://idrtg.innovatty.com. I've used them a few times.
    @MAROBI‌ looks like someone already had the same idea :smile:
    @scottwb how did it work?
    @Puffincat‌ - difficult to judge as we have no way of tracking installs via Twitter. The tweets happen for sure.
    @scottwb @Puffincat‌ Thanks guys I joined will let you know if the tweets start happening!
  • felipewatanabefelipewatanabe São Paulo / BrazilPosts: 152Registered Users @ @
    @Puffincat Are you working only with English? ASO can be specially helpful when you approach other languages.

Also, took a quick look at your app and keywords. It's a competitive segment, if I were you I'd try coming up with some different/niche ideas of public and use cases to improve your keywords.
    Head of Marketing at Tapps Games
    Hi @felipewatanabe‌ I was thinking about other languages, but our app is only in english and I think it is wrong to use translated key words if your app is not translated in this language, you decieve your users

If you are looking at our keywords via Sensor Tower - they lie, the keywords they show are very different from those we really have, but thanks for advice to search for other niche, I think I will also try other category in appstore next time :smile:
  • felipewatanabefelipewatanabe São Paulo / BrazilPosts: 152Registered Users @ @
    @Puffincat You don't necessarily need a translated app to work your strategy for other languages, specially with keywords -- you might have more potential foreign users than you think, big part of them are searching in their native languages. Being your app a traveling one, I'm sure you're missing a huge opportunity right there. ;)
    Head of Marketing at Tapps Games
    @Alifar AppAnnie looks good, but they show me quite strange list of key words, even SensorTower is better )) For ranking and downloads I use Distimo, probably just used to their interface
    @felipewatanabe Ok, I will try keyword translation and will write here about the results :smile:
  • AlisaLevAlisaLev UkrainePosts: 122New Users @ @
    Puffincat wrote: »
    @Alifar AppAnnie looks good, but they show me quite strange list of key words, even SensorTower is better )) For ranking and downloads I use Distimo, probably just used to their interface
    @felipewatanabe Ok, I will try keyword translation and will write here about the results :smile:
    Why not to try to translate the strings of your app into other languages?