Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ketchapp and 1BUTTON

iProdigyiProdigy United StatesPosts: 20New Users @
What are these indie dev companies secrets? They make the simplest games, yet still have millions of downloads reaching the top charts. Here are their websites: http://www.ketchappgames.com/ and http://1button.co/

Do you think they had a one hit wonder and now just have brand recognition?

Replies

• maharshakmaharshak some where over the rainbowPosts: 295New Users @ @
    edited January 2015
    About ketchapp they stole the success of 2048
    They weren't the orginal developers, since than they became a publisher that recycling them users for game to game, they succeed to get good amount of recycled users, and get good chart positions which lead to organic users as well
  • sgabellosgabello Posts: 85Registered Users @
    Yep... Maharshak gave you a very good and simple answer.

After the huge success of 2048, they've been amazingly good at publishing good, simple and addictive games made by other indie developers and cross promote them efficiently...

To me... they are geniuses...
  • NSString255NSString255 Posts: 84New Users @
    They all do recycling. However, I was analyzing them recently and found that many of their reviews are "bought"

• shoutcartshoutcart USAPosts: 7New Users Noob
    They all do recycling. However, I was analyzing them recently and found that many of their reviews are "bought"

you could also say "incetivized" :smile:
  • NSString255NSString255 Posts: 84New Users @
    I wonder how they are doing incentivized. i mean i know several services like featurepoints and stuff but can't see them bringing so much volume.
  • iProdigyiProdigy United StatesPosts: 20New Users @
    Is buying reviews illegal? Where can you purchase these?

Thanks for all the replies btw.
  • shoutcartshoutcart USAPosts: 7New Users Noob
    I wonder how they are doing incentivized. i mean i know several services like featurepoints and stuff but can't see them bringing so much volume.

offering lives for reviews, or getting inapps for a review does the trick. there doesnt need to be any callbacks either, users ususally come through with a review so lives or inapps are credited automaticaly :smile:
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,594New Users @ @ @ @ @
    shoutcart wrote: »

offering lives for reviews, or getting inapps for a review does the trick. there doesnt need to be any callbacks either, users ususally come through with a review so lives or inapps are credited automaticaly :smile:

Other posters on this board who have done that will tell you the results are pretty dismal. The majority... as high as 90%... of the those reviews never get left at all. Instead, the users will take the money and run.
  • TouchmintTouchmint Tempe, AZPosts: 822Registered Users @ @ @
    The hipster reviewers over at Apple love featuring their apps so this helps a ton.

Low poly game? FEATURE IT NOW!!!
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 147New Users @ @
    offering lives for reviews, or getting inapps for a review does the trick

I was pretty sure this is what was meant by Apple when they say to not do this for reviews? or are people actually doing this and Apple is fine with it? or are the developers offering in some other way besides in the app?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,594New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Apple is not fine with it. As it is illegal per Apple's rules. However there are easy ways to get around it. Assuming you have savvy programming skills.

I am not recommending you do this. As you risk your developer license.
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 147New Users @ @
    hmm, that is what I thought. I certainly wouldn't even try "getting around" this, seems like Apple could figure it out pretty easily.
  • maharshakmaharshak some where over the rainbowPosts: 295New Users @ @
    One more thing about ketchapp, every week they got featured by apple with them new app, maybe its only me but it seems very unfair, they usually dont have IAP them business model is from ads, which means Apple aren't making money from them, and they get huge exposure
    And eliminate them rivals, usually indie devs, that make some quite cool simple games
    And sure they fill a slot from the featured list, why to not give the chance for other devs apple?
  • KarlJayKarlJay Posts: 437Registered Users @ @
    maharshak wrote: »
    One more thing about ketchapp, every week they got featured by apple with them new app, maybe its only me but it seems very unfair, they usually dont have IAP them business model is from ads, which means Apple aren't making money from them, and they get huge exposure
    And eliminate them rivals, usually indie devs, that make some quite cool simple games
    And sure they fill a slot from the featured list, why to not give the chance for other devs apple?

IMO, Apple would take a different stance on this. If Apple sees that they have a history of chart-topping apps, they would probably give them a higher place in line. I posted a story years ago about a killer game that Apple paid the developers to NOT make the Android version for a while. This was done so that Apple could be 1st with a killer game and that was ( is ? ) a great way for Apple, Android, MicroSoft, BlackBerry to try and tell people "come buy our phones, we have THE killer apps"

IMO, Apple reached a deal with IBM for this very reason, enterprise software is the future of growth for mobile ( because games have already grown, the shares on devices is already near level). This is also (IMO) why MicroSoft just announced new security for their cloud/SAAS platform.

The reality is that they (Apple/MS/Android) barely care about you. You are a prostitute to them, but remember, a pretty prostitute can bring in some big $$ for the pimp.
  • panzeritipanzeriti United StatesPosts: 769Registered Users @ @ @
    I think I'm the bottom B**ch.
  • OurielOhayonOurielOhayon tel avivPosts: 30New Users @
    Ketchapp success started with 2048. It became so big that it has served as a good launch platform for other titles. Most apps they publish now are actually done by others. it's easy to spot as you open the game of their first screen you can see the second logo of the developer behind it. Ketchapp is mostly a launch platform with simple games and similar sharing format. I know the guys i don t think they buy reviews. Their game is just designed to push users to share their score on twitter/Fb.

Now apple has started to feature them and they entered a new phase.

1Button is a different beast. They actually design their own games and are not publishing 3rd party ones.

lots of people seem to like simple titles. Both companies have found a way to industrialize this process at bigger scale. Lots of the gameplay is often the same or similar to other hits (eg doodle jump or whatever). so they are easy to adopt.

Apple has no special interest in featuring them except that iAd is one of their monetization machine. But i don t think it is totally related. that beind said they are featured every week now..

Curious to see how sustainable this is.
  • monsterbeatmonsterbeat USAPosts: 11New Users *
    dev666999 wrote: »
    shoutcart wrote: »

Other posters on this board who have done that will tell you the results are pretty dismal. The majority... as high as 90%... of the those reviews never get left at all. Instead, the users will take the money and run.

Well, I have done that and the results were great, not dismal.