Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10,054 mobile email list subscribers, now what?

MambsyMambsy London, UKPosts: 26New Users @
A few months ago I built an internal SDK and server for my own apps that allowed me to gather the email addresses from my app users by just asking them with a gorgeous animated form, it was just an experiment but when I first put it in I got something like 1000 email subscriptions on the first day, it was crazy! anyways long story short now I have about 10,000 email list subscribers who all came from my mobile apps...any ideas on what I can do with this?

Replies

• MambsyMambsy London, UKPosts: 26New Users @
    What does the double opt-in part affect ?
    I see, just checked the US, Europe & Canadian laws and double opt-in is not required by law, its just recommended... a single opt-in and an unsubscription link suffices and this is what I have done ... have you ever used email to promote your apps?
  • shoutcartshoutcart USAPosts: 7New Users Noob
    Chances are your email is going to end up in Promotions tab of a gmail account. I blasted a 500k list through mandrill, and mind this, i know a thing or two about email marketing, anyway, majority went into inbox, and got me about 2k downloads in the end.

End result, failure.

You are better off collecting push tokens these days. email is dead.
  • NSString255NSString255 Posts: 84New Users @
    @shoutcart yep you are 100% right! Email is 100% dead.. heheheh.. I am even surprised you got so much downloads with 500k emails... (ROI wasn't worth it i am sure).

Recently I tried with "sms marketing" and got about a 4-5% clicks on the bit.ly but the downloads were not really good. SMS marketing is a bit on expensive side, it cost about 8 cents a message.
  • RedStripeRedStripe San Francisco, CAPosts: 63New Users @
    That's fantastic! Email is not dead, it's just a matter of what you do with the list and how you cultivate it. If you purchase a list or you don't email the list for a long time, then of course you aren't going to get any response.

It really depends on your app, but you need to send them related information about once a month. Send them something useful, entertaining or whatever you think they would like. Then every one out of 8 or 10 emails, send a promo email for your apps or in-app purchases. You can set this up on an autoresponder.

To reduce the likelihood that you get put in the promotions folder, write it like a personal email and don't include any graphics. Like with the spam filter, there's no guarantee that you won't get filtered, but it will greatly reduce your chances.
    Oh wow, completely lost track of this thread ... whoever wrote the sensor tower article, thank you! That was really cool to see... I'm assuming its you @RedStripe ? ... anyways, I ended up using some automation tools on mailchimp to progressively cross promote my other apps, ask for reviews and get beta testers for new apps I created ... I must say its a vastly different experience running an app business when you have an audience, and after talking to a few other app developers over the last few months, I think I might just build my internal tool out into a email list building & marketing platform that caters to the needs of app developers...well if there is enough interest, so I made this landing page with a small case study to see if its something that might interest you: CreamKick.com
  • SpiffersSpiffers Posts: 19New Users *
    I would just say; Don't Do Evil. These are your users, pamper them, be careful, because the moment they think you invade their privacy by sending unrelated stuff, it triggers the spam bell in their heads, and you will loose users faster than a snowball in hell... ;)
    As Apple says, users are not the product.
    Great point @Spiffers , I always try to send them stuff relevant to their category. So I only cross promote fitness apps to other fitness apps and games to other games for example. But I have experimented with various things and I think so long as in the first "Welcome" email you are transparent and clear about what they are going to receive then the unsubscription rate on subsequent emails stays low
  • adoregameradoregamer United KingdomPosts: 14New Users *
    hey, @Mambsy

I've just read this article. The answer to your question is under point 1. (Besides, you may find the rest 4 also valuable:))
  • imag8negamesimag8negames USPosts: 5New Users Noob
    Spiffers wrote: »
    I would just say; Don't Do Evil. These are your users, pamper them, be careful, because the moment they think you invade their privacy by sending unrelated stuff, it triggers the spam bell in their heads, and you will loose users faster than a snowball in hell... ;)

Agreed! Also have an email list but it is only used 4 times a year max on important information like new game launches or massive updates.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    edited September 2015
    Spiffers wrote: »

Agreed! Also have an email list but it is only used 4 times a year max on important information like new game launches or massive updates.

Agreed it's a good thing to avoid sending out uninteresting emails but only 4 times a year can have the effect of readers forgetting who you are. Sites like Hubspot give some super advice on optimization of email lists.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • Wayne07Wayne07 BangkokPosts: 4New Users Noob
    maybe you can use that list to help other dev promote too, like charge them 100$ or other
    Like a review site, doing that you will be able to interact with user frequently so they will not forget you.