Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

REAL results of ASO

In the interest of showing results of ASO, I figured I would share some recent stats of one of my apps which had a spike of 237% (ok dont get so excited, its a percent of a small #)

See attached image.

Notice the spike on Mar 11 when there was only 11 downloads (no irony here that march 11th had 11 downloads.. lol) and then with ASO app update (with some fixes in the app too) jumped to 35, then 66 a day.

Ok ok, i know its not alot, but that is EXACTLY my point!

ASO will get you only such much.

In my past experiences, I got maybe a jump from 100 a day to 350-400 a day with only ASO efforts.

So the bottom line is, ASO will not get you into the charts.

Tagged:

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    That's been my conclusion for quite a while now.

You need more.

But now, even marketing, unless you're one of the big guys, won't get you up the charts.

What to do... what to do... ;)
  • AlisaLevAlisaLev UkrainePosts: 122New Users @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »
    That's been my conclusion for quite a while now.

You need more.

But now, even marketing, unless you're one of the big guys, won't get you up the charts.

What to do... what to do... ;)

Not a very optimistic conclusion;(
  • anappdevanappdev Posts: 69New Users @
    Aren't you saying you got 600% Jump from 11 a day to 66 a day. Not sure how can two apps be compared as they will have different UI, Customers, Logic , Purpose......

Though I agree ASO can be useful only if you are already getting downloads. Also with kind of changes Apple making so frequently, don't know if anyone can keep up with them. I always wonder how people who are selling ASO services can really show any solid results anymore.
  • sinhahumayunsinhahumayun DhakaPosts: 209New Users @ @
    edited March 2015
    @NSString255 , what changes did you do exactly? Good growth, considering the original number of downloads, very curious.
  • tropictropic Posts: 120New Users @ @
    How was your earnings compared to the increased downloads?
  • merlinmerlin Warsaw, PolandPosts: 270Registered Users @ @
    +1. ASO won't bring you into the charts, but it's a good way to bring in the initial users, and it's possible to get some stable basic income off it (my record has been $1k a month with a decent app in an unsaturated niche, although I've seen devs getting up to $6-7k).

App Store marketing toolbox, use «devforum0» code for a free first month. Tools for App Store SEO, competitor tracking, etc. AppCodes.com <3 <3 <3
  • TasnimahmedTasnimahmed BangladeshPosts: 54New Users @
    @NSString255
    I am doing only ASO & Cross Promotion . One of my app is in Top Free 200 Photo & Video Category .Two of my apps are in Top Free 350 Photo & Video Category. In few months first one will be in top 100 i guess.

Use ASO For not only optimization. Use ASO (Kw reseach) also for market research. Market Research ll help you a lot
  • davez890davez890 SingaporePosts: 5New Users Noob
    hi @Tasnimahmed,

how do you use ASO for market research?

would you mind elaborating more?
    The things i mainly check
    1. Selected topics are profitable or not
    2. Competitor research
    3. Keyword popularity
    4. Ranking of competitor apps For last 6 months.
    5. Competitor is indie developer a company
    6. Competitors app is localized or not
    7. Review mining to find what users most love or missing about the app
    8. When the competitor app is last updated
    9. Can you beat your competitor with Proper Kw Research,Icon,Screenshot,Description,Category,...

• davez890davez890 SingaporePosts: 5New Users Noob
    Thanks @Tasnimahmed. Seems like a thorough process. Photo and video category is a pretty competitive category.

Some of the long tail keywords are pretty competitive too. I saw some of your apps able to rank well for some of the high volume keywords in such a short period of time.

May I ask how do you go about doing your keyword research and how do you rank well for them? :-)
  • anagarciaanagarcia SpainPosts: 10New Users *
    Thank you for sharing that!

The most important thing for me is the competitors research and select the correct keywords!!
  • weeareweeare UKPosts: 8New Users Noob
    can someone recommend me aplace to go to learn about aso?
  • AlisaLevAlisaLev UkrainePosts: 122New Users @ @
  • jhonkjjhonkj Posts: 150New Users @ @
    The things i mainly check

I think you were mentioning "long tail" keywords, I thought you might find this interesting.

my first two keywords, (not in title) are like this, (these are example, not actual ones)

keywords: side,list

the point of the two words, is they are "always" used together in that order to mean something completely different than if you used them separately, (again, not actual ones)

my app ranks higher by a magnitude of 6 times, for the search term "listing side", than it does for "side list", it is about 2x less likely you would see the term "listing side" in conversation or search... (that is just a guess on my part)

so while long tail I am sure is used somehow... it maybe not as obvious as how Apple is doing it. (at least at this date) that will change weekly it seems :smile: as Apple "changes" things.

this may be an unintended consequence of what apple changed recently, i don't know.. I do know I am getting more/better search results with the recent change.. (not this example) but in general.

Jon.