Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to pick up correct keywords and what to do with them afterwards? How to ASO your app?

AlmakosAlmakos UkrainePosts: 10New Users *
Hey guys,
I am an indie dev who published game with....10 downloads. It's not a bad game...at least I am sure it should do a bit better than that.
As it is hard to make anyone to review it I think my only resort is to try some ASO...

There is ASO keywords tool by AppAnnie, which gives some info on the keywords and rankings,...but how exactly one does find out which keywords to include?

I have a fishing game called Fishing Fantasy
Best keyword AppAnnie gives is fantasy ocean with ranking 7
next goes seastar with rank 24

If I research popular fishing game called Fishing Kings
AppAnnie reports that words boat, fisherman, fishing have rank 1 for that game

So what does it teach me?
Do I have to try to include latter 3 words somewhere in my tags on iTunes Connect or in the app name or should I avoid them?

I've heard that game description doesn't give keywords.

Sorry for being so dumb but I did try to understand how to use keywords, it's just the whole thing is tricky and hard to get into. So any little push in right direction will be much appreciated

Thank you for your time!

Replies

• IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469Registered Users @ @
    Take a look at ASOReview.com, its a tool I built it might help you out with your ASO and finding keywords you are talking about. Ideally you want to target keywords that seem to be unique and that are not being used by lots of apps.

At the minute I think keywords are given more weight when they appear in the Title of your App. You can then fill in the keyword section on Itunes with other keywords that relate to your app.

As mentioned the problem with finding keywords is that there are now so many apps out there that keyword competition is high. Tools like AppAnnie do work but you have to choose your keywords carefully.
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - ImageLab
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - PixelPoint
    Live Video Editing On Your IPhone - Video FX+
    London Photography - London Photography
    Voucher Codes & Offers - SocialOffer.co.uk Voucher Codes
  • mediaspreemediaspree FloridaPosts: 901Registered Users @ @ @
    @IconicDigital I tried your tool and it's pretty cool but I'm not sure what your premium service offers. Just continued use of the tool?
  • AlmakosAlmakos UkrainePosts: 10New Users *
    Ideally you want to target keywords that seem to be unique and that are not being used by lots of apps.

Thank you.
    That's a very good info!
  • IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469Registered Users @ @
    @mediaspree Hi yes at the minute the fee is for continued use of the product but I am working on some additional features that will go with it. I initially built a simple version for myself to use and then decided to try and turn it into a bit of a business to go with my app development.
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - ImageLab
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - PixelPoint
    Live Video Editing On Your IPhone - Video FX+
    London Photography - London Photography
    Voucher Codes & Offers - SocialOffer.co.uk Voucher Codes
  • freelancer77freelancer77 the worldPosts: 101New Users @ @
    have a look at this app to get a good idea of ASO

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Cute.Photo.Collages.Pic.Editor&hl=en

notice the amount of key phrases that are in the description
    "collage maker"
    "Pic Editor"
    "girly picture frames"
    "picture editor free"
    "picture decorations"
    my suggestion is to use the search bar suggestions and find as many things people are already typing in related to your app and add them everywhere you can
    edited April 2015
    @freelancer77
    the problem with your suggestion is that those key phrases are already being used by apps with high traffic thus if I use them for new app, it will be ranked somewhere around 500-1000
    So the trick probably lies in finding high traffic keywords with as low competition as possible
  • optimizemyappsoptimizemyapps USAPosts: 138Registered Users @ @
    @Almakos - Well its not that simple as using Appannie & figure out which keywords to use. You need to use a no. of tools to comb & refine your keywords. I am assuming you app is on the iOS store.
    As the no. of apps have increased on the app store, so has the need to do better research for keywords
    OptimizeMyApps.com for Professional Help on App Store Optimization / App Promotion Services at Great Prices
    @optimizemyapps that's nice to do indeed, but each of those costs around $60-70 per month,...yes, my game is for iOS

What's the most frustrating I haven't yet found a tool I really like. Even with trial I still don't understand how to get best keywords

At least now I understand the core concept (at least I hope I do)
  • TasnimahmedTasnimahmed BangladeshPosts: 54New Users @
    edited April 2015
    @Almakos

Keyword research for iOS is two step process! it will take a long time!

1.Collecting
    2.Filtering

Collecting
    ========
    BrainStorming Offline To Find Seed Keywords
    Brainstorming Offline To Find Long Tail
    Synonym Keywords
    Competitors Title With All TIme Review
    AppStore Suggestion
    Related Searches
    Google Search Auto Suggestion
    Amazon Auto Complete
    Google Play Appstore
    Google Keyword Planner
    Google Trends
    Competitors Keyword Phrase
    Review Mining
    Description
    Misspelled Keywords
    UberSuggest
    Long Tail

Filtering
    =======

Collecting keywords will take lots of time.but you have to be careful when choosing keywords

1.Common Sense

2.Put high volume (Sensortower, Related Searches, AppStore Suggestion,Google searches ) kw in TITLE.keep in mind Exact Match>Broad match>Partial Match . You can create title with 6-9 words Ex: Something Useful - Best Functionality of the app!

3.Put long tail in mind for the 100 characters kw.So you can rank for as many as possible kw phrases with the title & kw combination

Review & Consistent update is playing a important role in the iOS appstore now. if you do a great kw research but having less review the KW may rank very poorly

Tasnim

Post edited by Tasnimahmed on
    @Tasnimahmed Thank you for such detailed and thorough explanation
    This all makes a lot of sense

But why long tail keywords are important? Isn't it better to replace one long keyword with couple short ones instead?

Thank you
  • TasnimahmedTasnimahmed BangladeshPosts: 54New Users @
    @Almakos "In App Store Optimization, long tail keywords are usually going to be multi-word keywords. A common mistake that app publishers make is to only target single-word keywords."

Photo = 55,637 Competitor Apps
    Editor = 10,521 Competitor Apps
    Photo Editor = 7,134 Competitor Apps
    Best Photo Editor = 612 Competitor Apps

as you can see the more you go down the less competition exists.

if you can list your keyword as
    "photo,editor,best"

you will be ranked for

Photo,Photo Editor,Editor,Best Photo Editor,Best Editor,....

Long tail keywords would be highly converted keywords.

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,554New Users @ @ @ @ @

@Almakos "In App Store Optimization, long tail keywords are usually going to be multi-word keywords. A common mistake that app publishers make is to only target single-word keywords."

"photo,editor,best"

you will be ranked for

+1
    Ah, I see...
    Thank you once again @Tasnimahmed
    It is getting more and more clear to me how it works
    Your answers are truly insightful!
  • ngandtkngandtk Viet NamPosts: 5New Users Noob

"photo,editor,best"

you will be ranked for

Thank you for sharing :smiley:
  • C6Silver05C6Silver05 SeattlePosts: 632New Users @ @ @
    edited September 2015
    Not to dredge up a thread from some months ago (but I will). However, is there any indication that Apple looks at long tail keywords any differently that single words? It has been my understanding that Apple tokenizes these words unlike say Google. So for example, "friend finder" is really no different to Apple than "friend,finder". Apples tells you to use individual words versus multiple words as well. Is my understanding incorrect here?
  • adoregameradoregamer United KingdomPosts: 14New Users *
    I've also heard that Apple detects say "flower shooter" as "flower","shooter" and many blogs do post the same thing that you should mention in the keyword field your keywords as single words.

Besides, I've heard about a tricky technique - to use misspellings of a popular words as you keywords. Not everyone on the planet knows english perfectly, so a certain amount of users might search typing wrong words:)
  • AlisaLevAlisaLev UkrainePosts: 122New Users @ @
    The ecaxt thing I know that singularity and plurality is the same as you will write movie or movies.