Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to reach to Top Giants like Mashable, TechCrunch ... for reviews and press coverage

sphinxsolutionsphinxsolution New Jersey/PunePosts: 7New Users Noob
Hello Experts,
I have seen a lot of Applications get reviewed by top sites like Mashable, Techcrunch, What is the best way to reach out to them and get enough buzz so can get the maximum number of downloads during launch and earn enough credibility.

Though I have written a post on Marketing of App(http://www.sphinx-solution.com/blog/how-to-do-pre-launch-app-marketing/), but when it comes to implementation, I am not figuring out the way, whether I (basically my clients for whom we develop) should hire an agency or give a try of their own.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Replies

• sphinxsolutionsphinxsolution New Jersey/PunePosts: 7New Users Noob
    Request to moderators: In case putting link is violation, kindly remove it.
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 277Registered Users @ @
    Dont they all have a form you just fill out on their web site so they can write a review about your game ? Or just shoot them an email. Not sure why you would need an agency for sending an email.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    Reaching out is easy, as @Crichton333 says but make sure your pitch is a good one. Sites like these would get 100's of pitches a day.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • AlisaLevAlisaLev UkrainePosts: 122New Users @ @
    Reaching out is easy, as @Crichton333 says but make sure your pitch is a good one. Sites like these would get 100's of pitches a day.

You need a great LUCK to reach them! Agency is only 20-30% to help here.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Hello Experts,
    I have seen a lot of Applications get reviewed by top sites like Mashable, Techcrunch, What is the best way to reach out to them and get enough buzz so can get the maximum number of downloads during launch and earn enough credibility.

Though I have written a post on Marketing of App(http://www.sphinx-solution.com/blog/how-to-do-pre-launch-app-marketing/), but when it comes to implementation, I am not figuring out the way, whether I (basically my clients for whom we develop) should hire an agency or give a try of their own.

Unless your app is exceptional and/or backed by some big players in the industry, getting a review from any of these sites these days will only goose your downloads upwards for a few days or so. After that... back down she goes.

In the old days...3 or more years ago, a review by a site like that would be golden. Now, with so many apps flooding the app store, that golden opportunity is gone.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »
    Hello Experts,

Unless your app is exceptional and/or backed by some big players in the industry, getting a review from any of these sites these days will only goose your downloads upwards for a few days or so. After that... back down she goes.

In the old days...3 or more years ago, a review by a site like that would be golden. Now, with so many apps flooding the app store, that golden opportunity is gone.

That's certainly true but our experience is that a developer who gets a review can market that review to gain more downloads. We ourselves see a huge difference in the trailing download rate of an app following a review between developers who share in social media and those that don't.

If I had an app with a good review on a review website, I would direct as many people as possible to that review rather than to the iTunes profile, as I believe total downloads would be higher as a result.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • iSpreadNewsiSpreadNews Posts: 359Registered Users @ @
    Hello Experts,

Sending review requests to all major app review sites can take up to 2-3 weeks of your time, for very boring tasks like gathering emails/urls of contact forms, filling contact forms (almost all of them have captchas!). So you decide who should do that - you or an agency, that already has gathered such lists of contacts/url, configured form autofillers and has staff in countries with cheap labour.

Also keep in mind that are some agencies that can send review requests not only to app review sites that publish news in English, but in other languages too (e.g. to most popular site in Germany, Italy, France and so on). Filling in contact forms in languages you don't know is a really distracting task to do yourself..
    iSpreadNews.com - VERY CHEAP (from $50) way to send your iPhone/iPad app announcement to hundreds of blog & news sites owners over the globe.

Just remember that there other countries besides US!
  • RedStripeRedStripe San Francisco, CAPosts: 63New Users @
    Reach out to Steve Young and take a look at what he is doing with app PR on his blog. He has got some great publicity for his clients. But as mentioned above, you do have to have a legit app to get noticed. Reskins aren't going to cut it.
  • VermonSophiaVermonSophia San Jose, CAPosts: 2New Users Noob
    You should believe on your app and try to promote it through legit sources, and if it has made some name on social media and other marketing platforms, then I am sure big giants like TechCrunch or Mashable will consider it.
  • HappyByteHappyByte Posts: 343New Users @ @
    edited December 2015
    With some our apps that were reviewed in TIME, Engadget and some others it was completely random.

We just woke up and saw articles in there.

Later when we contacted them, the hint we got was alike - does your app do anything new? it it new? if it's not, then there is almost no way, because it won't be really "news".