Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Give some content for Likes or Reviews?

C6Silver05C6Silver05 SeattlePosts: 632New Users @ @ @
In an existing app I have an iAP that adds numerous features to the base free application. In order to try and get some more views of the app (and downloads of course) I was thinking of offering one of the items that is in the iAP to users who like the app on FB or provide a review. With regards to the latter, it would be for an honest review not worded as "give me 5 stars". So this isn't giving away the entire iAP but rather one item that I think people would enjoy. My question is for those whom have tried this approach and whether it was something they found useful/successful?

Incidentally, my app has a server component so I can control the free item without fear that it could be shared with others, etc.

Replies

• dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,613New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Since your app is geared towards adults, it should work well for you. Mine was geared towards kids, so it was not effective for me. Another poster here had the same problem. They'll just take the reward and not leave a review. He too created games.

It does violate "manipulation of reviews", so to get it through review you should have that shut down.
  • C6Silver05C6Silver05 SeattlePosts: 632New Users @ @ @
    Thanks for the response. Not sure what you mean about the age group my app is geared towards.

They would have to send me the name on the like or the name on the review before I would give the reward so I think I can keep anyone from gaming the system. I am not sure why this would be a manipulation of the reviews. I would not be asking for anything other than an honest review. Even if they give me 1 star I would still give them the reward. This is just trying to get notice and not trying to force positive comments although obviously a "like" is typically something positive.
  • anappdev2anappdev2 Posts: 101New Users @ @
    There are many apps which are using this now a days, generating "much" "much" more reviews than your normal review request can generate. Interesting part is that these app are also doing pretty good on charts (couple of these are in top 100 free overall), which makes you wonder if it is officially allowed by Apple.
    Going through the guidelines again I find:

Developers who attempt to manipulate or cheat the user reviews or chart ranking in the App Store with fake or paid reviews, or any other inappropriate methods will be removed from the iOS Developer Program

Now I think they are getting at those who go to sites like Fiverr or something else and pay for people to review their product. In those cases you aren't paying someone for an "honest" review you are paying them for a good one. However, I am not sure how they view giving away some content without asking for a particular kind of review. I assume they have no issue with asking for FB likes.

Another possible guideline for thought:

Apps that unlock or enable additional features or functionality with mechanisms other than the App Store will be rejected

I an not sure in this case if this type of mechanism counts or not. I understand this guideline in the context of paying for content outside of the store but if an app unlocks a feature based on a user event, even if that feature is part of a paid pack, does this constitute a mechanism outside of the store? If so, that would also preclude doing this for FB likes or anything for that matter.
    anappdev2 wrote: »
    There are many apps which are using this now a days, generating "much" "much" more reviews than your normal review request can generate. Interesting part is that these app are also doing pretty good on charts (couple of these are in top 100 free overall), which makes you wonder if it is officially allowed by Apple.

Are they asking for reviews as well as likes? Are they giving away content that is normally part of an in-app purchase?
    edited September 2015
    @C6Silver05

You haven't been on this board long enough to see the full history of what you're attempting to do.

Asking for an honest review in exchange for compensation is considered manipulating the reviews. Why is that...

An app with zero reviews vs one with middling reviews will generally rank lower in search. So, artificially adding reviews such as paying for them, regardless of quality of review, still skews the review ranks.

Apple is fully aware of compensated reviews and the likely outcome of it being a 5 star one vs a 1 star review. The user will more than likely give you a positive review, in thanks for the unlock. Come on... that is as basic as it gets in marketing.

As for likes... a few years ago, Apple did a heavy crackdown on compensated likes, by suddenly rejecting apps that did that. The Indies complained. Apple could give a shit. Then the heavy hitters contacted Apple, and suddenly... no more crackdowns on that. Apple never did make their position clear on that one. They just stopped rejecting apps that used that feature.

With compensated reviews, you will most likely be able to slip it by the reviewer for two big reasons.

1. Most reviewers are not aware of all the rules.
    2. Most reviewers don't play your app long and hard enough to see the popup... I assume you will not place it at the app's open... hahahaha.

Having said that, give it a shot... the odds are with you. If it was me though, I would still hide that feature, and activate it once approved.
    C6Silver05 wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. Not sure what you mean about the age group my app is geared towards.

They would have to send me the name on the like or the name on the review before I would give the reward so I think I can keep anyone from gaming the system. I am not sure why this would be a manipulation of the reviews. I would not be asking for anything other than an honest review. Even if they give me 1 star I would still give them the reward. This is just trying to get notice and not trying to force positive comments although obviously a "like" is typically something positive.

I assume this based on the various posts you've left in the past regarding your app, review problems, etc. I used the word adults, because I did not think you were marketing your app towards kids and tweens. There is a whole genre of apps in the game categories that do this. And those users are most likely to not leave the review, in exchange for a reward.

You will be using some sort of verification. I didn't, same as others who have tried doing this. The verification may make it too cumbersome for a reviewer, as it adds a third task to be done. So they may pass on leaving the review. Let us all know how that works out. I think we're all curious as to how many will use the verification method.
    Thanks @dev666999 for the perspective. The app in question is not a game and is for teens through adults.

I recently changed the brakes in my wife's SUV and the site I purchased the pads from sent me an email offering to give me $10 off my next purchase if I leave a review on their site for the pads. It was programmatic and I would get the coupon regardless of 1 star or 5. I didn't feel like this was manipulative rather an acknowledgement that only the smallest percentage of buyers will ever leave a review unless they are pissed. Now I have seen places and products that are manipulative in that they directly ask for 5-star reviews in return for something. In the end I don't think people who don't like your product would engage anyway as why would they want whatever freebie you are giving them if they don't like your product? So this is more an inducement to do what most of us never do, which is take a minute or two to write a review.

I am, however, very concerned about running afoul of some rule that could the account banned. They do mention this when it comes to "manipulation" although again I think they are probably talking more about paying people specifically to go to the store and rate the app. But it is still a concerning risk which is why I asked here to get other perspectives. I need to give this more thought/research and perhaps even try to get someone at Apple, before proceeding further.

Thanks as always for the insights.
  • robertparker13robertparker13 BangalorePosts: 1New Users Noob
    Hi,

I want to know exactly, do apps with more downloads or installs achieve high ranking in app store search?
    Hi,

I want to know exactly, do apps with more downloads or installs achieve high ranking in app store search?

No one knows (outside those responsible for it) Apple's formula for search. However, there are probably somethings we can assume are facts. It is hard to fathom how Apple wouldn't take into account things like downloads, installs, views, and reviews into their equation.

Alifar wrote: »
    C6Silver05 wrote: »
    Hi,

No one knows (outside those responsible for it) Apple's formula for search. However, there are probably somethings we can assume are facts. It is hard to fathom how Apple wouldn't take into account things like downloads, installs, views, and reviews into their equation.

MobileDevHQ had a case study last year showing that lots of long positive reviews are a very important ranking factor for search on the App Store, but of course like anything else in life people were gaming the system so I think they might gave it a lower value in their algorithm and gave a higher value for retention and session time.

It's also pretty much impossible to game the retention and session time and it will show you the true popularity of an app.

I think the math most of us know still stands; nr of downloads, nr of reviews, iap purchases in a short period of time but now also includes the retention and session time.

This is pretty much common knowledge on this board and others. Surprised that @robertparker13 would even ask such a simple question to which the answer is obvious.

Ignoring everything else, sheer downloads/installs will always trump everything else, unless Apple catches you cheating. For that, Apple has it's own countermeasures.
  • imag8negamesimag8negames USPosts: 5New Users Noob
    I've tried that in the past and it has been effective for games where the rewards are in excess of $5 worth of in-game credit. Anything under and users were not doing much