Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Facebook Ads - Pay Per Install

IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469Registered Users @ @
Does anyone use Facebooks Pay Per Install ads? Just wondered if they truly are "Pay Per Install" so that I only pay when a user installs an app of mine. The reason why I ask is because lets say I have an app that is 1.99 and I manage to set the PPI at $1.00, minus Apples cut I would make about $0.60 per app sale?

Is the above correct or am i missing something?

Thanks
Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - ImageLab
Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - PixelPoint
Live Video Editing On Your IPhone - Video FX+
London Photography - London Photography
Voucher Codes & Offers - SocialOffer.co.uk Voucher Codes

Replies

• AlisaLevAlisaLev UkrainePosts: 122New Users @ @
    Hi!
    We have tried a Pay Per Install campaign for both lite and pro applications and I can say that a pro version won't cover the spent money. Better to try a lite application, to install the Facebook SDK to see the installs coming from the ads, that's the only analytic that can show you the results.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    @iconicDigital In theory yes but realistically not. You would be competing with apps that have a different business model. Ie. Free but with IAP's for example and can afford to outbid you as their LTV is higher.

We see a multiple of 20 times the conversion rate for free apps as against paid ones. This doesn't mean the paid apps are bad, just users are now so used to free or "try then buy" models.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,558New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Does anyone use Facebooks Pay Per Install ads? Just wondered if they truly are "Pay Per Install" so that I only pay when a user installs an app of mine. The reason why I ask is because lets say I have an app that is 1.99 and I manage to set the PPI at $1.00, minus Apples cut I would make about $0.60 per app sale?

Is the above correct or am i missing something?

Thanks

Wish it were that easy. @apppicker.com summed it up well. The competition is too fierce.

• IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469Registered Users @ @
    Interesting. My app for example I am thinking of setting at about $1.99 and there will be a number of IAPs.

I thought that there would be for example an additional cpm fee for the impressions even if you set the ad as PPI. Does anyone know if this is the case?
    Interesting. My app for example I am thinking of setting at about $1.99 and there will be a number of IAPs.

Surely you would know more than us about this as you have 2 apps using 2 different business models.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelpoint-photo-editor-camera/id634011226?ls=1&mt=8 Free but with in-App purchases.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pixelpoint-pro-photo-editor/id661607701?mt=8 All inclusive.

Going paid PLUS iAP I feel a tough sell.

apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • HappyByteHappyByte Posts: 343New Users @ @
    There is no (real) CPI on FB and that's good. You only can optimize based on the install data. But you'll be billed for impressions anyway.
    Thanks for the info, I thought i might have to pay per impression as well. Although I have a portfolio of apps I don't really pay to advertise them.
    Thanks for the info, I thought i might have to pay per impression as well. Although I have a portfolio of apps I don't really pay to advertise them.

In business terms that's criminal))) You have a good selection of apps with the correct business model. Also, your free pixelpoint app is 4 1/2 stars and the paid one is 5 stars. The price point for in-App purchases is correct, offering a range that the user can choose from at minimal cost. All you need now are more customers.

Aside from ASO, over which you have minimal control beyond optimizing and tweaking, you should be out there blasting it to suitable users.
    edited December 2015
    I know, it is criminal. PixelPoint has been around for a few years and the reviews are pretty good. Problem is I tend to try an advertising route and leave it pretty quick when it isn't producing good results. Plus to be honest I am more of a developer than a sales person.

To be honest I have always focused on ASO over advertising but recent changes to the app store it is getting harder and harder. Would love to crack the US market, even made asoreview.com as a personal project to try and improve my ASO.
    @iconicDigital I'm glad you took my allegations of criminal behavior in the right way.

1. Instagram!!!!!!! I don't see you have one looking at your website. Millions of customers awaiting your portfolio of photos using your effects.
    2. Facebook. Add and post pixelated photos of cats if nothing else.
    3. Twitter.
    4. Pinterest
    5. Flipboard
    6. Ad infinitum.......

These will cost you nothing, just some investment in time learning.
    Thanks yeah I think I will look at using some of the social media platforms to start advertising. Have tried twitter but not much luck, what is Ad Infinitum? Not heard of it.
    Twitter takes time and smart engagement. Need to communicate and not broadcast as followers won't come unless the content is interesting. Discuss related topics and even just comment about current affairs. I guess use it similar to the links here in your signature.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cats/111851445501172 has 2,200,000 likes.

Pinterest good for SEO.

Flipboard is also good for SEO as it gets indexed by Google

Ad infinitum means "and on and on". There are many other social media options but I'd start with the above 4.
    Thanks for the info, I think I will concentrate on a bit of marketing over the Xmas period. Difficult to do some times when you are jumping between both app building and app promotion. I guess that is why I have always focused on ASO. Do you have any tips on cracking the US market? I localised my apps and my main markets seem to be Eastern Europe and South America.
    Using the above should help your US acquistion but remember to post with timezones in mind. Our social media activity goes to sleep when the US sleeps and 60% of our downloads are US as a result. We don't ignore the rest just if we want to engage we prefer it's US.
    I will take that into consideration, thanks. I guess on Twitter one approach is create tweets that offer an image/screenshot of the app in action with a description. Not sure what approach to take on Facebook though because how do you reach the wider audience outside of your "Friends"? I would have thought that you need to rely on users sharing their edited images from within your app to get the promotional benefits on Facebook.
    ok. We are starting from ground zero here. The good news is it can only improve.

I would use Twitter to not only showcase the benefits of your app but to also do some genuine market research in to how to improve your apps.

1. Create a Twitter account and add the button on your website. Make the profile branded and professional.I wouldn't use your existing company one for this but would use it to re-tweet the new one's posts to get started.
    2. Reach out to camera buffs on Twitter asking what features they most commonly use and which ones they would like to see in an app. I use "camera buffs" as that's mentioned in one of your iTunes reviews.
    3. Do a few tweets with some before and after photos showing the magic of some of your filters.
    4. Comment on some tweets with photos that use filters.
    5. Comment on some photos that could be improved with filters.
    6. Use 1 or 2 hashtags in your posts. https://www.hashtags.org will help you select the best ones to use.
    7. Follow and engage with people who post many photos.
    8. Steve Pailthorpe has the account @iconic_digital with 23,000 followers. I'd ask him if you're related?))) If nothing else you might get a re-tweet.@iconicdigital is an idle account. Ask them to give it to you?

I think an overall tidy up of your linking would be a good idea. The pixelpoint link here goes to iTunes, link on iTunesgoes to orstudios that shows only one app but by a different developer. For me, grouping all photo related apps in once place would be more focused. No need to distract camera buffs with Sudoku apps for example.

With Facebook, it's your friends friends and their friends who are your potential users. The word "viral" has been abused to define global mania sharing whereas the true definition is more modest. Don't "rely" on users to spread your message, rather, post some cool photos and ask your friends to like and share. That's viral.

Some nice advice thanks, I will go through and try some of the techniques. I think I will focus more on Twitter first and then go from there.

The link to orstudios.co.uk is correct. I set up a company website after I had to sell the IconicDigital.co.uk domain name. Lightsource which is the app you see on my company website is my latest photo editor. It never really took off though unfortunately (once again neglected the promotion). I was trusting more to ASO which I am finding with recent changes has less and less impact when you are in a competitive category.

Funny thing is I built it to focus on those users who like to edit Instagram Photos and it does a better job than Pixelpoint at that.

Just taken a look at your site apppicker.com, it looks really nice. In terms of review sites, do yourselves or other sites charge for reviews of apps or is it done free of charge? I may also look at submitting my app to a few review sites to see If I get any additional downloads by doing that.
    edited December 2015
    Just done a bit of work on my company twitter account @ORStudiosUK. Going to make a decent push with it. Used https://hashtags.org and I have set up a poll to see how things go.
    Thanks for the compliment. We don't charge for reviews and there are some other sites too that don't, but many get 100s of requests a day so there are no guarantees.

You'll get some downloads from a review, could be 10, could be 500. It so depends on their audience and what social media promotion is done then and thereafter. It's worth doing as brand awareness is also important over the long term. I'm not an expert but am aware that 1st viewing may result in no action from a user but on the 3rd time, a user will remember a previous reference and would take things further.

Of course try to get as much free promotion as possible but also factor in a budget or you'll never be able to seriously compete. Looking at your price points and assuming some metrics, you need to convert quite a high ratio of users from the free apps to iAPs to justify a large spend. Good sharing will multiply the acquisition benefits but of course the most important part is hitting the sweet spot in what's available in the free versions and what more can be got in the paid features.

ASO is important but you really can't rely on it to drive your business. Going outside the box you'll need to learn and then implement many other promotional actions. These then will all increase your ASO results with the sum of the parts adding up to more than the whole.
  • iSpreadNewsiSpreadNews Posts: 359Registered Users @ @
    Just taken a look at your site apppicker.com, it looks really nice. In terms of review sites, do yourselves or other sites charge for reviews of apps or is it done free of charge? I may also look at submitting my app to a few review sites to see If I get any additional downloads by doing that.

Our practice shows that if you get 15 free reviews after sending review requests to editors of 900 app review sites is a good result. So if you send review requests only to editors of 20-30 app review sites, most probably you won't get any free reviews.
    iSpreadNews.com - VERY CHEAP (from $50) way to send your iPhone/iPad app announcement to hundreds of blog & news sites owners over the globe.

Just remember that there other countries besides US!
  • ricardodevricardodev Posts: 3New Users Noob
    I am using chartboost but I am using mediation with moblyft and admob which generates very high cpms for me.
  • indie_devindie_dev baliPosts: 24New Users @
    Facebook campaigns are extremely helpful and cost-effective. Instagram has been great too recently