Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Average revenue per download

angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 257New Users @ @
Hi,

I am currently getting an average of $0.75 per download in revenue, from both alternating between free/paid and in app purchases/subscriptions.

Anyone care to share the value of an average download.

Anyone know if any stats exists as to averages per category. I really do not know if I am great, average or doing really badly!

Thanks,

Replies

• IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469Registered Users @ @
    Hi,
    Looks like you are doing well, what category are your apps based in?
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - ImageLab
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - PixelPoint
    Live Video Editing On Your IPhone - Video FX+
    London Photography - London Photography
    Voucher Codes & Offers - SocialOffer.co.uk Voucher Codes
  • angelappsangelapps usaPosts: 257New Users @ @
    Education.
  • IconicDigitalIconicDigital LondonPosts: 469Registered Users @ @
    Yeah, $0.75 per download is doing pretty well, I guess in the education category users may see it more of an investment so they are more likely to spend.

Take a look at services like AppAnnie and go through their blog sections, sometimes they do articles talking about averages and the like.
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - ImageLab
    Photo Editing IPhone & IPad - PixelPoint
    Live Video Editing On Your IPhone - Video FX+
    London Photography - London Photography
    Voucher Codes & Offers - SocialOffer.co.uk Voucher Codes
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,554New Users @ @ @ @ @
    angelapps wrote: »
    Hi,

I am currently getting an average of $0.75 per download in revenue, from both alternating between free/paid and in app purchases/subscriptions.

Anyone care to share the value of an average download.

Anyone know if any stats exists as to averages per category. I really do not know if I am great, average or doing really badly!

Thanks,

I think that is great for an Indie. For example, scale this up...

100 downloads per day = $75
    1000 downloads per day = $750

That's $2,100 to $21,000 per 28 day period.

I assuming this is a mix of paid and free apps generating $0.75 per app per day.

I'll have whatever you're eating. Need to put some meat on my bones. ;)

• Arty TalesArty Tales Posts: 418Registered Users @ @
    dev666999 wrote: »

I assuming this is a mix of paid and free apps generating $0.75 per app per day.

That's nice in theory but with $0.75 revenue per download, you don't have an app you can do advertising for. What's the CPI nowadays.... $2.50-3.00 (and you are far from sure that that these will be quality installs, likely to convert).

Or am I being too negative?
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,554New Users @ @ @ @ @
    Arty Tales wrote: »
    dev666999 wrote: »

That's nice in theory but with $0.75 revenue per download, you don't have an app you can do advertising for. What's the CPI nowadays.... $2.50-3.00 (and you are far from sure that that these will be quality installs, likely to convert).

Or am I being too negative?

No, you're not being too negative. I am being too simplistic. I am not accounting for acquisition costs.
    If only I had a game with 1000 downloads a day at $0.75!

In the education sector a lot of apps are fairly niche so I am never going to get 1000 installs a day.
    PS, ref advertising, I never went down this route as I wanted people to perceive the free app as high quality and not annoy potential customers, in the hope they leave it installed and come back in the future then buy, and you need high downloads to make ads work.

I track install date to purchase date and although the median is 1 day a good 20% come back week, months and I have even had over a year later a person buy an IAP.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    PS, ref advertising, I never went down this route as I wanted people to perceive the free app as high quality and not annoy potential customers, in the hope they leave it installed and come back in the future then buy, and you need high downloads to make ads work.

I track install date to purchase date and although the median is 1 day a good 20% come back week, months and I have even had over a year later a person buy an IAP.

I think that what @Arty Tales was saying is that that's very good for organic downloads but to extend your reach, you will require expenditure on acquisition and at $2.50 a download, the $0.75 you currently achieve wouldn't cover this.

apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • tomgood887tomgood887 Posts: 126New Users @ @
    0.75 is very high for me.
    one casual game of mine, 2000downloads/day, 200dolar
    that's 0.01 per download?
    tomgood887, You mean 0.10, or 20,000 downloads/day?
  • toxictoxic Posts: 14New Users *
    tomgood887 wrote: »
    0.75 is very high for me.
    one casual game of mine, 2000downloads/day, 200dolar
    that's 0.01 per download?

the $200 per day = $0.10 per user, NOT per download. You could have 10k DAU generating $200, with only 100 downloads per day, downloads are irrelevant.

What you need to do is take 30, or 60 or 365 days, and divide all the money made by amount of downloads within that period of time, thats how you calculate your revenue per download, or as everyone else calls it LTV (life time value)
  • NSString255NSString255 Posts: 84New Users @
    Really interesting discussion.

wanted to chime in.

I am able to acquire users for about .60 to .70 a download. I will share how in a later post.. just so i can stay on topic here.

However, I am trying to figure out the LTV of my user.

I have several "Casual games". For the purpose of this conversation, lets assume games similar to Flappy Bird mechanic.

So my question is, lets say I acquire the user at .60, when is a good time to determine the LTV for the user.

Is a 2 week period enough or to much to wait?

The way I have been calculating is this way:

Monitoring the ad revenue (only way my game is making $) from the time I acquired the user, till a 2 week period.

So far results are not as I expected.

Any thoughts?
  • toxictoxic Posts: 14New Users *
    edited January 2016
    Really interesting discussion.

wanted to chime in.

I am able to acquire users for about .60 to .70 a download. I will share how in a later post.. just so i can stay on topic here.

However, I am trying to figure out the LTV of my user.

I have several "Casual games". For the purpose of this conversation, lets assume games similar to Flappy Bird mechanic.

So my question is, lets say I acquire the user at .60, when is a good time to determine the LTV for the user.

Is a 2 week period enough or to much to wait?

The way I have been calculating is this way:

Monitoring the ad revenue (only way my game is making $) from the time I acquired the user, till a 2 week period.

So far results are not as I expected.

Any thoughts?

The way I calculate is LTV = total revenue/ total downloads. Then I brake it down by country and that is it.

If you want to calculate LTV of an actual user than it gets tricky, you need to select a time frame, account for churn, virality and attribute social actions of the user.
  • Arty TalesArty Tales Posts: 418Registered Users @ @
    edited January 2016
    Interesting discussion. I also don't go much further than total revenue / total downloads, per country.

Like everyone, looking for a way to lower the cost of user acquisition to around $1-$1.50. Facebook is not an option since my App title is driven by Keywords (long titles result in very messy ads on Facebook)

• OddballOddball United StatesPosts: 118New Users @ @
    I just do like others do, how much app made in a day/downloads. And honestly, I just do it as a whole for all my apps. (Total revenue for a day, total downloads). I know its a horrible calculation but analytics are a huge downfall for me. I need to start putting them in apps and tracking things more carefully.
  • apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    @Arty Tales have you considered Adwords? Seems perfect for me if long tail keywords are important.

@Oddball It's vital that you track and monitor where your users come from. It is the difference between success and failure. Whereas the cost of acquisition may be $1.00 -$1.50 per download, the real figure is much higher if you use the "cost per loyal install" metric.

Here is a blog post that should help http://www.apptentive.com/blog/the-five-mobile-marketing-metrics-that-matter-most/
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • OddballOddball United StatesPosts: 118New Users @ @
    @Arty Tales have you considered Adwords? Seems perfect for me if long tail keywords are important.

@Oddball It's vital that you track and monitor where your users come from. It is the difference between success and failure. Whereas the cost of acquisition may be $1.00 -$1.50 per download, the real figure is much higher if you use the "cost per loyal install" metric.

Here is a blog post that should help http://www.apptentive.com/blog/the-five-mobile-marketing-metrics-that-matter-most/

Thanks for the blog link. Yea, I have said to myself for a while I need to start tracking things more but have neglected it. I was busy pumping out apps and I did pretty well with it, but as I watch the store change, I know if I don't start now I won't last long. I want to start focusing on just a few apps and optimizing them as much as possible. It's on my list and this week we are going to start putting google analytics in my top apps and start from there.
  • felipewatanabefelipewatanabe São Paulo / BrazilPosts: 152Registered Users @ @
    Long time away from the forums, good to see some nice discussions!

Some of you mentioned LTV. I like this post: https://deltadna.com/blog/3-ways-calculate-ltv/ . DeltaDNA has great articles, by the way. It's worth following, specially for people working with games.

Head of Marketing at Tapps Games
  • Crichton333Crichton333 Posts: 264Registered Users @ @
    Im getting a better average return on the Apple TV App store. They need to implement some web links to the store for paid marketing.
    "Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: Nebula Virtual Reality
  • tomgood887tomgood887 Posts: 126New Users @ @
    tomgood887, You mean 0.10, or 20,000 downloads/day?

sorry, my typo.
    should be 0.1
    that's pretty low, right?
  • ethanwaethanwa Orlando, FLPosts: 720Registered Users @ @ @
    edited February 2016
    My best free app (out of many apps that I have) is doing $0.75/download over the last 365 days. It's had 10,215 downloads and made $7,708.06. If only I could scale it up 10x!