Advertise here




Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I realized something.....

crunkstarcrunkstar Posts: 36Registered Users
edited September 2010 in Mobile Marketing Techniques
After making the post giving away promo codes for my app yesterday, I quickly realized the majority of people who take promo codes on forums aren't developers or app lovers but in fact pirates looking to get free promo codes so they can crack it.

I was checking Twitter this morning and there were at least 6 tweets linking to a cracked version. Whereas before I could never find any cracked versions.

I guess I was being naive :(

Bastards could have at least left a review like I asked.... :mad:

live and learn.
Post edited by crunkstar on

Replies

  • bignogginsbignoggins Posts: 2,198Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited August 2010
    crunkstar wrote: »
    After making the post giving away promo codes for my app yesterday, I quickly realized the majority of people who take promo codes on forums aren't developers or app lovers but in fact pirates looking to get free promo codes so they can crack it.

    I was checking Twitter this morning and there were at least 6 tweets linking to a cracked version. Whereas before I could never find any cracked versions.

    I guess I was being naive :(

    Bastards could have at least left a review like I asked.... :mad:

    live and learn.

    Exactly why I never give out promo codes except to friends and reviewers.

    But if your app becomes popular enough it WILL get pirated no matter what.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<br />
    <a href="http://www.fantasymonsterapp.com/" target="_blank">Fantasy Monster - Mobile Fantasy Domination</a><br />
    <a href="http://twitter.com/bignoggins" target="_blank">Follow me on twitter @bignoggins</a>
  • newshidcomnewshidcom Posts: 19Registered Users
    edited August 2010
    crunkstar wrote: »
    After making the post giving away promo codes for my app yesterday, I quickly realized the majority of people who take promo codes on forums aren't developers or app lovers but in fact pirates looking to get free promo codes so they can crack it.

    I was checking Twitter this morning and there were at least 6 tweets linking to a cracked version. Whereas before I could never find any cracked versions.

    I guess I was being naive :(

    Bastards could have at least left a review like I asked.... :mad:

    live and learn.

    Hey I think I am a victim of that two, I gave a guy from these forums some promo codes an never heard back from him, I will like to check to see if my app has been pirated... where can I check...

    Also if I find out it has I will list the guys name and the site and email he gave me to stop anyone else from getting the same problem.
  • crunkstarcrunkstar Posts: 36Registered Users
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm not so bummed that its being pirated as much I am that no one left a review!

    Can you give it a review? I can give pm you a promo code. :D

    I'd do the same for you but I don't think your app needs it as it seems you're doing quite well on your own. Which is great and I hope to emulate your success. And thanks for sharing your experience and advice. I've been lurking mostly but learning from the more experienced guys such as yourself.


    mightybao wrote: »
    Exactly why I never give out promo codes except to friends and reviewers.

    But if your app becomes popular enough it WILL get pirated no matter what.




    You can search on Twitter. just type in your app name and be prepared to be annoyed.

    newshidcom wrote: »
    Hey I think I am a victim of that two, I gave a guy from these forums some promo codes an never heard back from him, I will like to check to see if my app has been pirated... where can I check...

    Also if I find out it has I will list the guys name and the site and email he gave me to stop anyone else from getting the same problem.
  • bignogginsbignoggins Posts: 2,198Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited August 2010
    Don't worry about piracy. I've been pirated and it doesn't impact sales at all. Worry about making a great app.

    You can save your promo code for someone more important. I don't have a review site lol.

    You can also use promodispenser to get reviews that works well from what I heard.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<br />
    <a href="http://www.fantasymonsterapp.com/" target="_blank">Fantasy Monster - Mobile Fantasy Domination</a><br />
    <a href="http://twitter.com/bignoggins" target="_blank">Follow me on twitter @bignoggins</a>
  • MichaelEMichaelE Posts: 446Registered Users
    edited August 2010
    mightybao wrote: »
    But if your app becomes popular enough it WILL get pirated no matter what.

    Agreed. At some point if enough people like your app, it will be cracked. While my app has always done fairly well in the Productivity category, it wasn't until it was featured in Apple's Back to School apps section that it took off. Within 3 days it was cracked. It annoys me a little, but overall I don't really care. The people who pirate the app would not have paid for it anyway. My focus will always be on trying to improve the product and create a better user experience and not how to thwart pirates.
    Michael Emmons<br />
    Founder, App Apps, LLC<br />
    <a href="http://app-apps.com" target="_blank">http://app-apps.com</a><br />
    <br />
    <a href="http://app-apps.com/apps/videobot-camera-for-ios/" target="_blank">vi
  • bignogginsbignoggins Posts: 2,198Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited August 2010
    You can't fight piracy. There is just no way. I agree that people that pirate would not buy your app anyway. I have a lite version with 90% of the functionality. There is no legit reason to pirate my app but people do it.

    I love it when people on twitter request the latest version of my app to be pirated.

    Apple probably has the best ecosystem to combat piracy anywhere. You need a jailbroken phone to run pirated apps and those are prolly < 5% of all devices. So don't worry about it at all. Any effort you spend fighting piracy is a waste of your time. You will get far better results just improving and marketing your app.
    harkonian wrote: »
    Agreed. At some point if enough people like your app, it will be cracked. While my app has always done fairly well in the Productivity category, it wasn't until it was featured in Apple's Back to School apps section that it took off. Within 3 days it was cracked. It annoys me a little, but overall I don't really care. The people who pirate the app would not have paid for it anyway. My focus will always be on trying to improve the product and create a better user experience and not how to thwart pirates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<br />
    <a href="http://www.fantasymonsterapp.com/" target="_blank">Fantasy Monster - Mobile Fantasy Domination</a><br />
    <a href="http://twitter.com/bignoggins" target="_blank">Follow me on twitter @bignoggins</a>
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Posts: 460Banned Members
    edited September 2010
    to the OP:

    That's why you should use promo dispenser for giving away your promo codes.

    There are no crackers, because they need to register their appstore ID and write reviews on iTunes. It's mandatory. They, don't even get a code without ID and validated review.

    They are not interested in work, so they try to get the codes in the free wild, like this forum.

    Even if one tries to get a code by promo dispenser and he doesn't review his first app within 3 days, his account gets banned.

    Read the FAQ for other good reasons why to use promo dispenser, or look for the topic in this forum.
  • AppacityAppacity Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Had the same thing happen with my app when I gave away some promo codes here :P Suddenly the cracked version appeared... Never again for new versions..
  • bignogginsbignoggins Posts: 2,198Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited September 2010
    Why do you care if you are pirated? I guarantee you those who pirate your app would NEVER have bought it in the first place. You're worrying about nothing. Consider it extra free promotion, that's how I look at it.

    And not giving promo codes does not mean you will not get pirated.
    Appacity wrote: »
    Had the same thing happen with my app when I gave away some promo codes here :P Suddenly the cracked version appeared... Never again for new versions..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<br />
    <a href="http://www.fantasymonsterapp.com/" target="_blank">Fantasy Monster - Mobile Fantasy Domination</a><br />
    <a href="http://twitter.com/bignoggins" target="_blank">Follow me on twitter @bignoggins</a>
  • AppacityAppacity Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    mightybao wrote: »
    Why do you care if you are pirated? I guarantee you those who pirate your app would NEVER have bought it in the first place. You're worrying about nothing. Consider it extra free promotion, that's how I look at it.

    And not giving promo codes does not mean you will not get pirated.

    Hang on, I _do_ care about my app being pirated. It costs money to run servers, and to do carrier lookups. If it was just a game I'd say you're right who cares! But it costs me server usage and carrier lookups to house these extra pirates....! If everyone was pirating it I would literally lose money on server costs.
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Posts: 460Banned Members
    edited September 2010
    There are solutions to track cracked versions and block them to use your service.
    Update your app and that's it.
  • AppacityAppacity Posts: 41Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    There are solutions to track cracked versions and block them to use your service.
    Update your app and that's it.

    Hmm really? Can you point me to how to detect it?
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Posts: 460Banned Members
    edited September 2010
    A working solution. We stopped using it, because we really don't care (like others mentioned above)
    AntiCrack @ Dr. Touch

    Another code snippet:
    snippie

    There was a blog too, where somebody explained, how to do it, but I can't find it.

    I am no coder.
    I remember something that you have to look for the plist file somehow, because crackers change that file. Your app has to phone home (which yours already does) and the server checks the plist file. If it is changed in size, you read the udid of the phone and add it to a black list.

    Next time if the udid contacts your server, you send him a message or you send a command to the app, which then does something, like poping up a message "you are using a cracked version" or similar. Then you block him from the main features server side or in the app.

    There are many topics about this even here in the forums. Use the search function for it.
  • bignogginsbignoggins Posts: 2,198Registered Users @ @ @ @
    edited September 2010
    Appacity wrote: »
    Hang on, I _do_ care about my app being pirated. It costs money to run servers, and to do carrier lookups. If it was just a game I'd say you're right who cares! But it costs me server usage and carrier lookups to house these extra pirates....! If everyone was pirating it I would literally lose money on server costs.

    Yeah in your case it does matter. My bad, didn't take a close look at your app.

    There is an anti-piracy thread somewhere on these forums.

    Still, trying to beat piracy is a battle you won't win. There is a reason software companies factor piracy into the bottom line. Iphone devs should expect no different. The fact of the matter is that iphone is the LEAST pirate friendly platform out there. If you can't stomach iphone piracy then you're in for a shock if you develop for any other platform (esp android)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]<br />
    <a href="http://www.fantasymonsterapp.com/" target="_blank">Fantasy Monster - Mobile Fantasy Domination</a><br />
    <a href="http://twitter.com/bignoggins" target="_blank">Follow me on twitter @bignoggins</a>
  • HunnenkoenigHunnenkoenig Posts: 460Banned Members
    edited September 2010
    Our new game Assault Commando came out at 5pm CET and was cracked at 9pm (at least I discovered it at that time)

    If you look on google for the last 24 hours by the title, you just find warez sites :)

    I am happy, because it shows, that the game is a good one.
  • iphoneblahbiphoneblahb Posts: 130Registered Users
    edited September 2010
    Speaking of promo codes, does PromoDispenser even work? Been up there for a while and got nothing. Is it just low traffic?
Sign In or Register to comment.