Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marketing Productivity App - Suggestions?

FreekSandersFreekSanders NetherlandsPosts: 5New Users Noob
edited April 2015 in Shameless Advertising
Hello everyone!
Over a year ago we launched our productivity app Easy Annotate, a dual PDF editor.

We had it as a paid app, which sold an average of 7 units a day.
A few weeks ago we went free with IAP in an effort to boost downloads.
Downloads have increased (to about 150), but sales remain stagnant.
We would like to increase our marketing effort. Most of what I read on the forum is about marketing games.

Does anyone have experience marketing a productivity app?

And while I'm at it, any suggestions to improve our app are welcome.
Link to iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy-annotate-dual-pdf-editor/id727622263

Replies

• apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    With 4 stars from 130 users on average it seems to be quite a good app. You should get some reviews from websites, blogs that deal with productivity and comment in forums related to this area.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • FreekSandersFreekSanders NetherlandsPosts: 5New Users Noob
    Good suggestions. The hard thing is getting the reviews from websites. We contacted dozens and a few did write a review. The impact was limited though
  • dev666999dev666999 Posts: 3,554New Users @ @ @ @ @
    PDF editors have been cloned to death. If yours was the only one of just a few, you would see better results.

But the Asians have flooded the market with PDF app clones. And often a group of developers will pass on their code to others/friends so that they too can dump a clone into the app store.

@FreekSanders

You have quite a few reviews there I see. Congratulations.

What impact would you expect? Articles like those are old news a few days after being published if nothing is done to further promote them. We notice 2 variants on our site:-

1. We publish the article and make some noise on twitter and Facebook and some other social networks, and on average, 1,000 people read that review leading to 200 downloads if a free app or 50 downloads if a paid app.
    2. We publish the article as above and the developer then likes on Facebook, tweets to their own audience and Google+ s the article etc leading to a significant number of additional reads and downloads over the following months, years even.

Your price drop from $4.99 to free actually appeared on our site on the 28th of February and should have given you a boost but I notice you haven't submitted it for review on appPicker.

apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
    @dev666999 True, there are many PDF editors. Our unique niche is a dual PDF editor, which are much much rarer. However, an issue might be potential market share.

@apppicker.com my bad for not having submitted it to appPicker. I've just corrected that ;)

Good suggestions on pushing review articles on Twitter / FB / G+. Social media promotion is not my strongest point, but I'll guess I'll have to learn :sweat_smile:

edited April 2015
    There are many of everything these days so we have to run twice as fast just to stand still.

It's the shameless advertising section here so I feel ok giving an insight in to appPicker without getting flagged.

I see ourselves and other sites as one of many ways to promote apps but also as reflection of the evolution of the app store......with more and more clones as @dev666999 points out, the market is getting more intense and indeed we have to cover more and more interesting apps and reject many good apps that have been overdone to some extent. So, the development now really covers less than half the work required to be successful. In the old days, a review on a top site could put you in top spot.

Learning about pushing your app is to me more important than perfecting a good one and although there are many free ways to do, a budget should be available for marketing.

I compare 2 apps we reviewed on the same day 19th October 2014:- http://www.apppicker.com/reviews/18888/Cash-King-Islands-app-review-strategize-as-a-pirate got 600 reviews the day of publication but now gets 1,200 views per month mostly from Google organic. Notice the 7 shares of Facebook, whereas this review also got about 400 views the same day but nothing later http://www.apppicker.com/reviews/18900/Wallz-app-review-professional-and-unique-wallpapers , notice there are no shares on Facebook.

Always nice to get an Alice in Wonderland reference in there ;)
    As a developer, pushing apps is against my nature, but hey, if that's what it takes to keep developing nice apps, then that's the way it is.

Thanks for the references as well.
    Any other suggestion on what could help push an app to increased visibility?

Any other suggestion on what could help push an app to increased visibility?

How long have you got?))) With 133 ratings and an average of 4 stars, you should be working now on pushing it as much as possible.

1. Answer any question in yahoo answers and similar sites about PDF apps and document writers.
    2. Create a wikipedia page about your company and link to all the several reviews you have.
    3. Comment in all blogs relevant to your app but don't spam. Offer something useful. Try to connect with the owners. You had some success with this on a few sites already I see.
    4. Create a Facebook page.
    5. Add some regular content in your tweets that aren't just about your apps.

Increasing visibility is the only way for indies like you to gain downloads and it will take time but should be worth it as your business model is freemium now. I list some suggestions but the internet is so big that you can follow the path of interest as you search yourself forever.

Great! Thanks again. I'm adding these to my marketing plan.
    Like you mention, the problem is not with the app, but with my limited marketing experience / effort.