Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Walk Me Alarm Clock - Marketing Techniques and Advice required

cassimcassim PakistanPosts: 4New Users Noob
Hi All,

We are a two person team who have said goodbye to our 10 years of lucrative corporate career and have decided to become Appreneurs. Walk Me Alarm Clock is our initial effort towards the path of success.

We both started our journey of app development around six months back. We have never worked in Objective-C although we both have ample experience when it comes to programming in Open Source and Microsoft technologies. Mobile has always been a fascination for us so as Swift programming language was announced we decided that this is the time to opt for it as Apple is giving another opportunity to be part of its ecosystem. Therefore, we burnt our boats and are now fulltime iOS App developers working for our own.

-- About the App

This app is for people who have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning or have a habit of forgetting important things such as picking up kids from school, getting to a doctor's appointment or even miss a date ;-)

The app is built with simple and easy to use features to help and not to confuse with the process of setting up an alarm.

There is no snooze function. Notifications are fired every 30 seconds if the app is in the background or phone is locked.

The tricky part is that every time the alarm rings, you will have to walk different number of steps to turn it off.

The launching price is $0.99 and the main website of the app is Walk Me Alarm Clock Website. There is a small video on the website which explains the concept of the app. Do watch it to get an idea about the app. It is also available here.

Please let us know what do you guys think of this app and also we both are looking for opinions and recommendations related to marketing of the app as we both are not that proficient when it comes to marketing. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Replies

• apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    edited May 2015
    The 1st thing I noticed is that the http://walkmealarm.com/support isn't opening for me when I click through from the US store.

It's good that you have a website. I believe that should be vital for any serious developer.

On your website you make the word BEST an important part of your message but in your iTunes description you don't use the word at all. You also only use 2 of the important 3 lines that are most visible when opening the iTunes link. There are 2 comments in iTunes US but you really need to reach the level beyond "We have not received enough ratings to display an average for the current version of this application."

Other ASO includes choosing the right keywords and I am a big fan of "relevance". Strike a balance between non-competitive keywords and competitive ones. You do want to rank in the ones that give you both downloads and retained users.

I would also put it the productivity category rather than just utilities.

Google search "best alarm clock for iphone" and you'll get 10 results - only 1 goes to iTunes. "The Free Alarm Clock is even Better! Alarm Clock, Digital Clock, Music Clock, Music Alarm, iPad Clock, iPhone Clock, Reminders" whereas your app is $0.99 which will of course reduce downloads. It's usually $1.99 with a 50% discount in May? I'd rethink that business model.

The other 9 results are for 3rd party sites so doing some SEO on your site would be a good thing.

You only have 4 likes on Facebook, 1 is mine. You need to increase those by getting all friends and family to do the same. Post a few interesting things there.

Same with Twitter. Just because you only have a few followers doesn't mean it's bad. You should start to engage with "difficulties of getting out of bed" being your theme and getting feedback on the features of your app. Does not having a "snooze button" solve the problem for example. There are quite a few "task before stopping" alarm clocks on iTunes - answering a quiz is a common one. Try to start a debate on what's the best way for sleepy people to wake up? Soothing music? Heavy rock? Doing a task?

Google+, pinterest are there but there are many more. Flipboard is a good one too. They all get indexed by Google, so any links is better than none.

Post edited by apppicker.com on
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • cassimcassim PakistanPosts: 4New Users Noob
    Thanks for such a great feedback. Highly appreciated. We are working on fixing the issues that have been mentioned by you but can you please elaborate a bit on the below lines as we could not get the exact idea here:

Google search "best alarm clock for iphone" and you'll get 10 results - only 1 goes to iTunes. "The Free Alarm Clock is even Better! Alarm Clock, Digital Clock, Music Clock, Music Alarm, iPad Clock, iPhone Clock, Reminders" whereas your app is $0.99 which will of course reduce downloads. It's usually $1.99 with a 50% discount in May? I'd rethink that business model.

What should be the ideal business model? Should we just price it "free" forever?

• apppicker.comapppicker.com Posts: 452Registered Users @ @
    My point about Google search is that by expanding your footprint in the web, you increase your chances of getting found, 1st by people using search engines to find apps and then 2nd I believe that Apple does or will include this factor in their own search algorithm. Either way, increased downloads will result from increased channels to your iTunes page and improve your ASO.

The fact that you have a simplistic enough app, by this I mean it's not a niche, feature filled, useful one other than helping sleepyheads wake up, means charging $1.99 for it when almost all your competition is free is a tough call. Almost all apps are now free with advertising or in app purchases being the revenue stream ,with these iaps being either adding extra features or removing ads.
    apppicker.com top 10 App review site where developers can post videos, place promo codes and announce apps on sale and gone free.
  • cassimcassim PakistanPosts: 4New Users Noob
    Thanks and sorry for replying late. Have been busy somewhere else. We will try to implement on your advice and hopefully the success will follow :-). Thanks.