Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended iPhone SDK Books

2»

Replies

• Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited February 2012
    I bought Erica's original iPhone cookbook when it first came out. It was good, but suffered from being written against early beta versions of the iPhone SDK, and including private APIs that would get your app rejected from the App store if you used them.

The new version does not suffer from any of those problems. It has decent introductory sections on using Xcode, the basics of using Foundation classes, etc.

Where it really shines, though, is for more advanced readers. It has the best explanation of the subtleties of ARC that I have found. It gives clear information on how to handle "Toll-free bridged" Core Foundation objects in an ARC app, how to mix ARC and non-ARC code in the same project, etc.

It also has a really good explanation of the finer points of using blocks, how blocks are able to retain access to local variables from their enclosing scope even if the block persists after the calling method has returned, etc.

The book is also chock-full of really useful "recipes", or small examples of how to solve real world problems. The code is tested, working code, and you can download all of it from Erica's website.

In one particular case, I was trying to use the new CI filters included in iOS 5. The final step of converting a CIImage back to a UIImage would not work no matter what I did. I finally figured out that there is a bug in Apple's UIImage class method imageWithCIImage. It returns a blank image. Erica's sample code for using Core Image Filters includes a work-around that lets you get your filtered image back from Core Image. That alone paid the price of the book, to my way of thinking.

Erica is one of the leading experts on iOS development. Her knowledge is both deep and broad, and she also explains complex subjects so they are easy to understand. The fact that the code she provides is tested, working code is a huge plus.

I can't say enough good things about this book. It might not be a great choice for beginners, but for intermediate and advanced developers, it is a "Must have". She's coming out with a second volume soon, and I fully intend to get that as well.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • dapisdapis Posts: 311Registered Users @ @
    edited February 2012
    Yes, I totally concur with Duncan's statement.

I mentioned Erica Sadun's book earlier in this thread (about a previous edition), but I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate how much I like this book. I have the eBook version as well. It may not be a good book for a beginner to learn from, but if you're an experienced developer it's a terrific reference to have handy.

Also, the current edition had some misprints in it when it first came out and the publishers replaced all the bad copies fairly promptly - in fact they offered the eBook as a replacement option and I took that route. I think that level of response from the publishers (Addison-Wesley) is pretty cool.
  • mbmobilermbmobiler Posts: 3New Users
    edited March 2012
    Majora wrote: »
    I would highly recommend the book "Programming in Objective-C Third Edition" for anyone looking to learn Objective-C. Assumes no prior knowledge of C, but some programming experience is helpful. Very easy to understand book for beginners such as myself and the author answers any questions you may have about Objective-C on his forum. Love it.

This is what my brother recommended to me when I first started developing for those exact reasons.
  • Duncan CDuncan C Posts: 9,114Tutorial Authors, Registered Users @ @ @ @ @ @ @
    edited March 2012
    dapis wrote: »
    Yes, I totally concur with Duncan's statement.

I mentioned Erica Sadun's book earlier in this thread (about a previous edition), but I wanted to take this opportunity to reiterate how much I like this book. I have the eBook version as well. It may not be a good book for a beginner to learn from, but if you're an experienced developer it's a terrific reference to have handy.

Also, the current edition had some misprints in it when it first came out and the publishers replaced all the bad copies fairly promptly - in fact they offered the eBook as a replacement option and I took that route. I think that level of response from the publishers (Addison-Wesley) is pretty cool.

Mine also was a misprint, and I also got a corrected copy free of charge. They withdrew the misprints as soon as they realized what happened, and all new copies sold are the corrected version, so you don't have to worry about getting a misprint now.
    Regards,
    Duncan C
    WareTo

widehead.gif
    Animated GIF created with Face Dancer, available for free in the app store.

I'm available for one-on-one help at CodeMentor
  • gloriaseo123gloriaseo123 Posts: 1New Users Noob
    Hey thanks Gentleman..!!! for share this books with us. It's really nice book & speciallly helpful for newbies in iPhone development. Keep sharing up..:-h

• riyasareenriyasareen DelhiPosts: 1New Users Noob
    Hi, everyone I am a new member of this forum. I don't know how to a iOS game and iOS app upload and download. So please anyone can suggest me.

Thank you.
  • billibobbillibob Posts: 5New Users Noob
    Interesting! I read Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK (9781430216261): Dave Mark, Jeff LaMarche: Books - as well! Great book. Everything is written clearly over there
2»