Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thompson22 - Good story (but turned bad)

martol1nimartol1ni Posts: 42Registered Users
edited November 2012 in Testimonials
This subforum looked so depressing, so I thought I should add a more happy story.
I contacted Thompson22 due to a post he had in here, where he needed a piece of code for his application. We talked on skype for a bit, and I gave him an offer for how much time and money I needed for this particular job. A couple of days later, everything was set up, he got the project, and I got the money through Paypal.

Also, this was a very nice man, and I will continue doing business with him.
He has my full recommendation for other freelancers.
Post edited by Rhade on

Replies

• amikistosamikistos Posts: 3New Users
    Scams!!!! Unbeliveable this man@@.

your app not like your description
    amikistos 11:56AM
    are you send wrong for me
    Thompson22 11:58AM
    The app creates wallpapers that are to look like security screens for iPhones. It is stated in the description.
    Thompson22 11:58AM
    If you look at other security apps on the app store thats what they are as well.
    amikistos 12:46PM
    "This source code uses the same strategies for Fingerlock apps such as these" - Your code you send for me not like your description! I pay money not for buy "The app creates wallpapers that are to look like security screens for iPhones"
  • ilmmanilmman Posts: 950Registered Users @ @ @
    Well he is right, Apple doesn't allow any app to access its root. If you want to do that you need to jailbreak your phone and then get a dev for JB devices
  • RhadeRhade Posts: 661Registered Users @ @ @
    Our friend Spencer Thompson here linked to a couple of apps on the store (not his), and was selling code that promised to be just like those. First of all, the code was pathetic. I would be embarrassed to put my name on this code and give it away for free, much less charge the kind of money that Spencer wanted from prospective buyers. His code merely added images to the photo library, and that's it. Copy-paste from a tutorial, duplicate a view controller a few times, add really crappy graphics, try to sell for hundreds of dollars. Nice.

But selling bad code isn't necessarily a problem I'm going to deal with here, just a moral problem for the seller. Where we do have a big problem is with the promised functionality of said code. While it is true there are no real "security" apps on the store, the apps he specifically referenced did far more than simply add images to the photo library. To represent his code as being comparable to those apps was intentionally and woefully misleading.

He refused to make things right with amikistos, who brought the whole thing to my attention. He also refused to respond to my inquiries about the matter, despite being given several chances. Someone who is innocent would have been jumping at the chance to clear their name.

So he has been banned for scamming. A look back through his post history reveals he is a college student who likes to sell his code. I truly feel sorry for anyone who paid him for code, as it is basically worthless.
    Do not quote questionable posts.
    Do not post moderator requests in public. Send a PM.
    vvvvv ---- Use the flag button to report spam.
  • RhadeRhade Posts: 661Registered Users @ @ @
    Well, I'll disagree about the likely quality of his own apps, but that's not what the issue is. He linked to a couple of App Empire apps, specifically these:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/phone-security-pro/id349156789?mt=8
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fingerprint-security-pro/id312912865?mt=8

"This source code uses the same strategies for Fingerlock apps such as these" was the promise. The only thing the code he sold does is add a handful of images to the photo library. Not saying those apps are great, but they definitely do more than that.

This project contains a half-dozen view controllers that pretty much only consist of this:
    -(IBAction)Download {
    UIImage *image = [UIImage imageWithContentsOfFile:[[NSBundle mainBundle] pathForResource:@"fingerlock" ofType:@"png"]];
    UIImageWriteToSavedPhotosAlbum(image, self, @selector(image:didFinishSavingWithError:contextInfo:), self);

}
    And some really poor-quality graphics. For this he was asking $300, and sold for $100. 5 minutes of Googling, tops, would have found this code. Shameful.

But overpriced crap isn't the issue. Lying about what the overpriced crap does is the issue.
    Do not quote questionable posts.
    Do not post moderator requests in public. Send a PM.
    vvvvv ---- Use the flag button to report spam.
  • allen4lifeallen4life NevadaPosts: 13New Users *
    I know this topic is a little bit outdated but i was reading up on the posts and have to say: apps are absolutely NOT high quality! :P