Advertise here

Advertise here

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Basic objective c pre-requisites

NycnoobNycnoob Posts: 2New Users
edited October 2011 in Tutorial Discussion
Hello all,
I would like to get into iphone app development and am having a bit of a tough time getting started. I do not have any programming background and when researching where to start there always seems to be something else i need to know BEFORE i "should" dive into getting started with the sdk. Ive watched the first video from stanford and the proff says that if you dont know the basics of computer programing your going to struggle. I totally understand that so i'm trying to find a resource for getting a handle on the basic basics. I purchased objective c for dummies, and have yet to get into the coding part because i dont have that fundamental background. I also need to be practical about this... How can i balance gatteing a grasp of the basics of programming objective c ( or any language for that matter), without spending a year with my head in a book ( or pdf). Any help or guidance would be aopreciated. Thank you.
Post edited by Nycnoob on

Replies

• NycnoobNycnoob Posts: 2New Users
    edited October 2011
    Nycnoob wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I would like to get into iphone app development and am having a bit of a tough time getting started. I do not have any programming background and when researching where to start there always seems to be something else i need to know BEFORE i "should" dive into getting started with the sdk. Ive watched the first video from stanford and the proff says that if you dont know the basics of computer programing your going to struggle. I totally understand that so i'm trying to find a resource for getting a handle on the basic basics. I purchased objective c for dummies, and have yet to get into the coding part because i dont have that fundamental background. I also need to be practical about this... How can i balance gatteing a grasp of the basics of programming objective c ( or any language for that matter), without spending a year with my head in a book ( or pdf). Any help or guidance would be aopreciated. Thank you.

Thanks for all the support! (not)
  • mbankmbank Posts: 1New Users
    edited October 2011
    Nycnoob wrote: »
    Thanks for all the support! (not)

i am in a similiar position as you, although i do know some stuff about programming. i would say download some of the open source test apps from apples dev center, it is easy to learn programming from examples for me at least. never get a "for dummies" book they are terrible. i can suggest you the following books i have purchased: "3d for Iphone with blender and SIO2" , "advanced IOS4 programming"

mess around with IB, also if you are going to be making 3d games, or any games, objective c might not be something to be concerned about. remember there is more to ios programming, such as game engines, interface builder, etc you might not have much to do in OBJ-C

good luck
  • QuestMusicQuestMusic Posts: 4New Users
    edited October 2011
    mbank wrote: »
    i would say download some of the open source test apps from apples dev center, it is easy to learn programming from examples for me at least. never get a "for dummies" book they are terrible. i can suggest you the following books i have purchased: "3d for Iphone with blender and SIO2" , "advanced IOS4 programming"

mess around with IB, also if you are going to be making 3d games, or any games, objective c might not be something to be concerned about. remember there is more to ios programming, such as game engines, interface builder, etc you might not have much to do in OBJ-C

good luck

Thank you for your post. I also been trying to get my head around Obj-C language for a wile now, and even tho I'am starting to understand a little, a big blur is there when I see a code. Is there any way you can give us some links to point the direction for begginers open source test apps.
    Thanks